Tuesday, November 09, 2010

'scuse me!

I was just looking at some videos from last summer and it was amazing to hear Wren talk! It's like he had his own language then. Good thing I was translating on the video because otherwise I don't think I would have remembered what those words meant!

Now Wren can say anything! It's true that at some point language just explodes. Maybe it's more noticeable in boys than in girls, I don't know. But it is neat to talk with Wren.

We have been teaching Wren to say "excuse me" when he wants to say something while Mommy or Daddy is talking to someone, and he's gotten the hang out it for the most part, but it's pretty funny that he also thinks it's appropriate to say "'SCUSE ME!!!" to my face when I'm talking to HIM. So when he wants me to shut up and quit talking so he can say something, he just starts yelling, "'SCUSE ME!" Pretty silly.

Wren also says things like "that's a good idea" because we say it a lot. He likes to add words like "also" to his sentences and that makes them interesting.

We've been pointing out emotions to him a lot (I took a class on emotion coaching your kids) and have a piece of paper on the fridge with a lot of "feeling faces" showing many different emotions and Wren really has been into it. We've talked about the different faces and he studies them and asks what they are.

When I'm mad, he tells me he wants me to be happy and will go to the fridge and show me the face he wants me to have (the happy face or the calm face). He also is always saying "I feel a little bit sad" whenever we want him to do something that he doesn't want to do (at three and half years old, that is everything!).

Right now Wren has a cold and ear infection and on our way from the doctor's office to the pharmacy, he was talking about how he was going to get a Dum-Dum lollipop there, and he said, "I'm a little bit happy AND a little bit sick". :)

No comments: