Tuesday, January 26, 2010

talking about baby

We've been talking about our new baby coming and Wren has been thinking about his little brother lately! He got out his doll recently and the other day I was walking by his door at naptime and heard him "taking care" of the baby -- giving him a blanket and asking him if he wanted to wear overalls, and giving him pats. Very sweet! He's taken to piling all his blankets on the doll and saying the doll is sleeping under there (which is kind of funny because Wren still won't use a blanket himself! Has never shown an interest in being under one at all!), which he won't be able to do with the real baby!

Now we can see our baby move a little bit from the outside of my tummy, and last night I was laying in bed and we were trying to show Wren the baby moving, and he didn't see him moving, but all of a sudden says, "go get Wren's baby!" and runs to his room, returning with his doll. He put his doll under my shirt and was saying "hi" to the baby, and saying "baby say HI Wren!" then he'd pull the baby out like it was peek-a-boo and say "oh hi!" I made the doll "kick" him through my shirt and he really liked that. Wren talked about putting a blanket under my shirt with the baby too, and wanted to put him in my bra. We pretended the baby came out and cried and wanted to "eat" with Mommy. I think Wren thought this was all very interesting and a good visual for what his little brother might be like!

I have a pamphlet from La Leche League that has a photo of a mom nursing her baby and Wren is interested in looking at that. We talked about how babies don't have teeth yet so they can't eat food like Wren eats (Wren has actually brought this up several times when he sees a baby or doll -- "no teeth" and then shows me his) so they eat "special milk" Mommy makes. I think we need to call it "baby milk" because then Wren looked thoughtful and said he wanted to "eat Mommy's special milk" and was pulling at my shirt. Should be interesting to see what he thinks! He is around babies nursing sometimes so that idea is not foreign to him, and I think he remembers nursing himself somewhat. I just started checking out a couple of books from the library about the new baby coming and one about breastfeeding.

Also today when I picked Wren up from preschool, he was holding a doll that he wanted to take home with him -- he has mentioned to me a baby with a yellow blanket and today I got to see her. He showed me where the "baby" sleeps and how he wraps her up in this yellow blanket they have there. He sat down in a little rocking chair and held that baby with the blanket and did not want to leave. So sweet! Apparently Wren discovered that this doll cries and no one had ever even heard her do that before! He showed me how the baby "makes a sound" today too. As Scott says, leave it to Wren to find out how something works!

1 comment:

usuallyemily said...

feel free to leave a comment.